<$BlogRSDUrl$>

fredag, maj 28

Elizabeshton 

My favorite math teacher, Mishter Guffey, passed away Monday. What they don't have in that obit is how he taught me to play softball wearing his blue, tight old-man pants with the thread worn around his wallet, how he taught us derivatives like none other, how he'd poke fun at me for being a whiz at solitaire when I'd just scored 100% on one of his tests- the only one in the class and me a year younger than the rest of his students. That he was the first at UH to have a whiteboard instead of chalk and was fiercely protective of his markers, keeping them usable for as long as possible. He yelled at me when I didn't know how to slide and sort went shoulder and butt first into home plate at a softball game about how I was supposed to get down and slide and completely took my mind off of how much my (broken) tailbone hurt. I was really sad when he left UH the year before I graduated, but happy that I'd gotten to have him instead of the string of replacement teachers they brought in. So here's to you Mishter Guffey, for furthering my love of math.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Add SoccerCS